Perlite is not a trade name but a generic term for naturally occurring siliceous volcanic rock. The distinguishing feature which sets Perlite apart from other volcanic glasses is that when heated to a suitable point in its softening range, it expands four to twenty times of its original volume.
Perlite is amorphous volcanic glass that has relatively high water content, typically formed by the hydration of obsidian. It occurs naturally and has the unusual property of greatly expanding when heated sufficiently.
Perlite is an industrial mineral and a commercial product useful for its light weight after processing. Perlite is a non-renewable resource. The world reserves of Perlite are estimated at 700 million tones.
The chemical composition of Perlite:
SiO2 : 70–75%
Perlite is used in industries, agriculture, horticultural aggregate, vermiculite, refractory material, ladle topping, building construction products, fillers, filter aid and used in hot tops and risers. Because of its low density and relatively low price, many commercial applications for Perlite have developed.
In the construction and manufacturing fields, it is used in lightweight plasters and mortars, insulation and ceiling tiles.
In horticulture, Perlite can be used as a soil amendment or alone as a medium for hydroponics or for starting cuttings. When used as an amendment it has high permeability & low water retention and helps prevent soil compaction.
Perlite is an excellent filter aid. It is used extensively as an alternative to diatomaceous earth. The popularity of Perlite usage in this application is growing considerably worldwide.
Perlite filters are fairly commonplace in filtering beer before it is bottled.
Perlite are also used in foundries, cryogenic, insulation, as a lightweight aggregate in mortar (fire stop) and in ceramics as a clay additive.
Perlite Insulation Boards & Pipe Sections
Water Proof | Low Cost | High Insulation | Fire Proof
Wedge Perlite insulation board, also known as waterproof perlite insulation board, is made of expanded perlite bulk material as aggregate, adding waterproofing agent and binder for preparation, screening, pressure forming, drying processes.
Expanded perlite is a white, ultra-lightweight aggregate ranging from a very fine powder to an aggregate with a particle size up to 6mm in size. It is inorganic, inert, neutral in pH, biologically stable and has no asbestos content. It has excellent thermal insulation properties over an extremely wide temperature range from cryogenics at minus 273°C (absolute zero) up to refractory applications at over 1000°C.
It also has a highly adsorbent surface and a very low bulk density which makes it an ideal carrier or low cost filler for many compound formulations.
Perlite Insulation products have the benefit of containing a rust inhibitor which is activated if the insulation comes into contact with moisture. The inhibitor neutralises any chlorides present, thereby greatly reducing, if not totally eliminating, corrossion under insulation (CUI).
• Light weight with very low bulk density.
• Waterproof with extremely high hydrophobicity.
• Low thermal conductivity.
• Most suitable for cryogenic applications -190°C.
• High temperature insulation up to 650 °C.
• Fireproof, rot proof, damp proof, sound proof.
• Construction safety is simple and easy, roof and wall.
• Environmentally friendly.
• Water repellent, non-flammable, loose-pour insulant improves the thermal performance on masonry walls and floors.
• Corrossion under insulation (CUI) resistant.
• High temperature insulation and heat protection
• Cryogenic application: Non-combustible ultra-lightweight mineral aggregate with excellent insulation & adsorption properties.
• Fire proofing and sound proofing.
• Swimming pools, cold storage, boilers and some insulation projects with special requirements for waterproofing.
• Perlite insulation is used in high temperature applications in the steel and foundry industries such as ladle topping, hot topping and riser.
• Expanded Perlite is suitable for a range of landscaping applications such as green roof construction, golf green renovation and construction, planters, drainage.
• Expanded perlite powder and board is a hydrophobic insulating aggregate.
Insulation U R Value Heat Loss Calculator
Right Insulation Materials Selection to get most feasible commercial solution. Achieving right combination of Insualtion materials and thickness is most complex decision to achieve lowest heat loss with minimum insulation thickness at various applications and temperatures. Wedge India helps its client to select right combination of Insulation material for various applications based on R Value heat loss calculator software, u p k calculations to find right insulation thickness, achieve target cold face temperature, and minimise heat losses at very low price. We also make energy audits as per requests from our customers. R value calculator delivers best insulation thickness r30 r38 r19 r49 r21 r60 for home and buildings to save cost at high efficiency.
Benefits of Heat Loss Calculator
Get right Thickness of Insulation.
Find right Insulation Materials Selection.
Get lowest cost combination of Insulation System.
Get better heat loss reduction decision.
Clear view of Energy Saving potential and Energy Audits.
Low cost and optimum Furnace Design.
Best Energy cost reduction possibilities.